What is it about?
Coding is very important when you think about the future, where everything is going. With more phones and tablets and computers being made, and more people having access to every thing and information being shared, I think it’s very important to be able to learn the language of coding and programming. Chris Bosh NBA All-star, Miami Heat
You may be planning to be a doctor, linguist, or physicist rather than a full-time programmer, but whatever you do, being able to program is as important as being able to write a letter or do basic arithmetic and you don’t have to be a genius! When you understand some of the basic skills involved in writing programs, it can help with all sorts of activities, whether at work, in school or later on in life.
Coding, Programming or Software Development is simply writing a set of instructions telling a computer exactly what to do to carry out a particular task.This is because computers are dumb machines and they don’t know how to do anything without you telling them.
In today’s world being able to code or program is an important skill because more and more of our lives is increasingly being managed by digital devices.For most of us we have come to realise that instead of technology opening up our minds, it has succeeded in shutting them down.This is because we learn more about how to use and conform to existing software and technological gadgets more often than how to make them.
Learn2Code Academy initiative is a fun and rewarding way that will enable you as a participant in this program in Nigeria learn how to code and appreciate how code works without previous programming knowledge. And as a result help you to demystify technology and ultimately transform your perspective from that of users to potential makers of technological gadgets and software.
One hundred years ago, people were faced with the choice of learning to read or remaining illiterate labourers who would be left behind as have-nots in a rapidly modernizing world. In the coming century, being able to command a world that will be thoroughly computerized will set apart those who can live successfully in the future from those who will be utterly left behind. Yishan Wong CEO, Reddit
Programming language you’ll be learning?
At Peter Albertson Learn2Code Academy, the introductory programming language of choice is the Python Programming language. Python offers a stepping stone into the world of programming. It’s a high-level programming language meaning, it is precise and designed to be used and understood by humans and is often considered the easiest language to learn, owing to its simplicity, readability and straight forward syntax.
Python programming lanuage is a great language for beginners into the exciting world of programming. In the United States for example, 8 of the top 10 universities computer science departments as well as 27 of the top 39 schools now use python to teach coding at the introductory level of the computer science course. You don’t have to be genius to learn Python programming language. According to a recent survey, you do not need to have a college degree in Computer Science to learn programming either!
What will i get out of this course?
Regardless of your age or gender and whether you want to become a doctor, engineer,entrepreneur or a teacher learning to code will unlock your creativity, build your confidence and improve your digital literacy skills.It will empower you to build a more prosperous and just country. And you could be creating your own games, applications and websites after the course.Not only will you learn how the internet works and how software is made,you will also acquire the skills to:
- Be an active participant in the creation of the next generation of technological advances.
- Prepare you for a career in software development, a highly sought after career in the job market.
- Learn how to design, code and test software application and think like a programmer.
Any previous knowledge?
You do not need any previous knowledge of programming to participate in this training but just a familiarity with how to use a computer application like MS-Word, e-mail and Browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Mozilla Firefox.The training is practical and involves a lot of exercises and activities and take home assignments so coming to the course with a WiFi enabled laptop is highly recommended. Internet access will be provided for you at the training venue.
Who is it for
This series of programming(coding) sessions is for:
- those who want to learn coding or programming at a very young age and want to improve their reasoning,logic and communication skills and are thinking of building their own games and applications
- those who are interested in software development as a career
- those who want to change the way they think about programming and are seeking a new understanding of how software works
- participants who want to take a more practical and interactive approach to learning the fundamentals of programming and start building websites and software applications as a career
- those who want to shift away by being constrained by their age and ability level from learning new and exciting skills that will change their life.
- those who just want to embrace 21st century cutting edge skills that will make them stand out and do amazing things with programming
Learning to write programs stretches your mind, and helps you think better, creates a way of thinking about things that I think is helpful in all domains. Bill Gates Chairman, Microsoft